Sunday, June 30, 2013

Challenge



Holidays are upon us and that means…  that I’m going to take it easy, right? Just laying around all day, reading books, watching series (okay, so pretty much as always).

But that’s not what’s going to happen. Because tomorrow is the first day of Camp Nanowrimo. This July will be filled with writing, writing, writing, until at the end of the month I will (hopefully) hit the magical wordcount of 50.000.

Still, as I already  achieved this once, in November, this time I decided to make it more difficult. Because vacation is here and… no, I don’t understand it either.

You know that I tried to challenge myself in April too, and that was a big fail. That time the plan was to use the storygenerator of TV-tropes as the basis of my story. I had to use the elements the generator provided me with. It was hard. I failed hard too.

This time, instead of writing on one story, I will try to write one every day. The wordcount for one short story is 1613, so that I will eventually reach the 50.000 goal.

To tell you the truth, I am not at all convinced that I will be able to pull it off. I will have to have a good idea every day. I do have a theme for every day, but I will still have to start from scratch every day… Also, I was planning on abandoning the fantasy genre I usually write in for realism. All stories will take place in the same city, Utrecht. That will link them, but it will also limit the possibilities. Yes, I am scared.

Why I still choose to spend my first free month wrestling with deadlines, stress and despair (probably)? Because I like to challenge myself. And I really think that, if this will work, I will grow as a writer. Trying out new things must bring out new elements of yourself, right? Let’s hope so anyway.

To keep myself motivated, I will try to post one of the stories on Marly’s short stories each week. That does mean I will have to translate them, as I write in Dutch. Oh well, another challenge. Why not?

Love, Marly

Ps. Sorry I didn’t write last week. I was busy, but looking back I can’t remember what with.  Won’t happen again. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment