Sunday, June 2, 2013

Reaction to your great news ( and why I love Doctor Who)

Dear dear Suze,

I had started writing my post on Thursday, as I knew I wouldn't have much time to write later on. But then you posted another blog, with the news that you might get the chance to perform at the Grand Theatre! I'm sorry, but I just have to SCREAM!!!! OMG, that is just so cool! Please post some of your music on this blog sometime, because I want the world to know how brilliant you are :).
            Well then, let's continue with my great piece. And it's... about Doctor Who. Yes, I know, and I apologize beforehand. I give you: my post about Doctor Who. 













Since I have nothing good to tell, let’s focus on the things that I have something to say about. Like… that series I’ve been watching obsessively in the last period of time. It’s ruining my study, it’s taking over my life, and the worst part is: I don’t mind.
Why not?
Because it’s Doctor Who and it is just amazing. Probably one of the best shows I’ve seen. Ever. Yes, you don’t want a love declaration from a hysterical fangirl, so I’ll try to keep down the fangirling. I’ll just try to tell why I like it so much.
An alien with a dark past in a policebox trying to save the people across time and space. It sounds a bit repetitive and childish maybe. It is a children’s show after all. But maybe, maybe, it is precisely the childishness that gives it its power. Because isn’t one characteristic of children their curiosity?
                I remember that when I was a kid, I used to think of all the knowledge in the world as a great hall full of books, going up as high as I could see.  And I thought about all the scientists busy at every moment to explore, to get new knowledge, create new books and the hall would just keep on growing and growing. I loved the excitement I felt at the idea that new knowledge is uncovered every moment. I wanted to catch up to it, to this ever-expanding library. And I read and I read as I wanted to learn about everything, every area of knowledge. I was running, running with the words, running, struggling to catch up even when I knew that was never going to happen. There was a rush to it, the idea of the growing hall, of the new books written, urging me onwards, make haste, make haste. It’s going to fly away, you’re going to lose sight of it.
                And that’s why I watch Doctor Who. Obviously the stories are fiction, but they talk about that same feeling: the idea that the world is just wonderful and big and varied and amazing and waiting to be explored. The doctor never loses his sense of wonder and the human companions the Doctor takes with him (because that’s what the Doctor does) travel with him for that exact reason. They want to learn and see new things. I think that is one of the main reasons the show appeals to me the way it does. So when you are looking for me, you'll find me glued to the screen of my laptop, seeing the most amazing things, traveling with the Doctor. 
Because, as the Doctor says: ‘this is one corner in one country in one continent in one planet that's a corner of a galaxy that is a corner of a universe that is forever growing and shrinking and creating and destroying and never remaining the same for a single millisecond. And there is so much, SO MUCH, to see.’

Lots of love,
Marly

P.S. Fortunately I'm almost done with the seventh (the most recent) series. This means that I will experience a gaping hole in my life for some time, but it will maybe also encourage me to go out in real life (my one corner in the corner of the universe) and explore. Until then however, I'll gladly give myself over to all of time and space.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment